Day to day Tips
- Pace your activities through the day – don’t tackle all the
physical jobs at once.
- Wear low-heeled shoes with soft, thick soles (trainers are
ideal). Thicker soles will act as shock absorbers.
- Use a walking stick to reduce the weight and stress on your
- Use the handrail for support when climbing stairs.
- Don’t keep your knee still in a bent position for too long, it
will stiffen up.
- Think about modifying your home, car or workplace to
reduce unnecessary strain on your knee.
- Learn to relax your muscles and let the tension out of your
- Use heat/ice packs to help eases pain and stiffness.
- Knee braces for osteoarthritis are available.
- Speak to your doctor or therapist first for recommendations
or referrals for any of the above.